Saturday, December 17, 2005

Is Imagination Disapearing?

I was talking to someone today about how I wished that radio shows were done today like they did before the days of television. That was before my time, but my parents had recorded some of their favorites onto cassete tapes and I grew up listening to them. I was amazed at the sound effects and how I could listen to those shows and almost see them in my mind.
Then we talked about why books always seem better than the movie that was based on the book. Of coarse one reason is because you can fit more details in a book than you can in a two hour movie. But really the main reason is that most of the time the movie can't live up to the way you imagine the story when you read it.
Now you can look at the movies that are being made and see very little originality. They are making movies based on hit TV shows from the 70's. You have Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, and Charlie's Angels. They are also remaking old movies. The new HERBIE the Love Bug, KING KONG, a new Pink Panther movie, the list goes on.
So it really seems to me that people are not as able to come up with new ideas, new stories. Is it getting more difficult to be creative? I see plenty of innovation in technology, but not so much in the world of entertainment. I am sure that creativity and imagination will never completely disappear, but it does seem to be greatly reduced compared to the days before movies and television. I have grown up in love with the arts and was fortunate to have parents that taught me to love and appreciate, art, music, literature, and theatre. They wanted me to love the beauty of creating and imagining great things. God has given mankind this ability and it is one of many things we should always nuture and appreciate in this world. Let's always encourage our children when they show talent and abilities in using their imaginations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home