Thursday, December 29, 2005

New Year's resolutions

A friend of mine also posted a blog on this topic. I thought it was a good topic to share my thoughts so here it goes. I like the idea of making a New Year's resolution because we are creatures of time and view so many things as having a beginning and an end. Each morning is the start of a new day; each week and each month has a first day; and each year has a first day.

I have made resolutions many times. Only a few have I stayed with I am embarrassed to admit. Some were not started at New Year's. What I like most about a New Year's resolution is that you can look at this new year as a chance to improve from the year before. We all make so many bad choices and we all have difficult situations arise that we did not expect nor have any control over. We need to have hope for a better tomorrow. This is what I see a New Year's resolution as at least helping us to do.

Without hope, we fall apart. If you dwell on the mistakes of the past, you cannot move forward. Looking to the future...keeping our eyes toward where we are going, is vitally important. Yet, the most important thing we need to know is that as soon as we are aware of the need to change our direction, we need to make that change right away. The most important decisions can't wait until January 1st because we have no guarantee that we will even have one more day.

I do have a New Year's resolution this year, but in reality it is the same one I have at the beginning of every day. My resolution is to be a better christian, a better person, and a better father than I was the day before. When I get married again, I will strive each day to be the best husband I can be each and every day as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home