Monday, February 27, 2006

Why do people do things they know are wrong or bad for them?

I recently have been wondering about what makes people do things that they should and probably do know is a mistake. Everyday, someone chooses to smoke tobacco products even though they have been taught from an early age how unhealthy it is. People decide to drive drunk, have unprotected sex with someone they have no intention of ever marrying. This list of choices people make can go on for miles. I have never even been tempted to drink alcohol, do drugs, or use any tobacco products in my whole life. Even if I did not have a problem with these things from a moral or religious standpoint, I don't think I would have ever chosen to do any of those things. I have a sensitive nose and do not like the smell of tobacco products or alcohol.
I am by no means perfect and have made really bad choices in my life. I goofed off my first time to go to college back in the 80's and lost my financial aid and was put on academic suspension. HUGE MISTAKE. I have let friends talk me into doing some things that I have regretted...minor vandalism...(I was in Jr High) and looking at Playboys...that started when I was 12 yrs old. I had a friend who's dad was a subscriber and had stacks of them in the house. We would go over there after school when his parents were not home and look at them. This was something I struggled to overcome for years. I played with matches with a friend and we were very lucky we did not burn the house down with us in it...(I was 7 yrs old).
We have choices to make every single day and we all make bad choices from time to time. Not all bad choices are bad because they are immoral or a sin either. They can just be unhealthy, or they can get us into a bad situation that negatively impacts us and those around us. I think that the main reason people make these bad choices is mainly because they look no further than today at this moment. If we can learn to look ahead and see some small glimpse of where this decision will ultimately lead us, we might become better at avoiding costly decisions. What do you all think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home