Monday, April 17, 2006

What Music means to me

How important is music to you? Here I am in college and I am trying to finish my degree in Music Education. I recently did a speech for my beginning speech class on the problem of many public schools cutting the music classes out of their curriculum. Many with the power to cut music out of public schools seem to think that music is expendable. Have you ever known a nation or tribe that did not have music? Why do you think that is? Music was considered vitally important in the education of ancient Greece. There have been many publicized studies that have shown that students who are involved in some kind of music education do better in school. They are not sure if the music training helps these students get better grades or if students who get better grades tend to want music training.

But then the experts who conduct these studies have not talked to me or others like me. I struggled with school especially when I was young. I had to take kindergarden twice and third grade twice. Was I not as smart as other kids? No. It seems that the problem was that my brain had to go through an extra step to translate the abstract. In other words, it took me longer than most students to read anything, numbers, letters, anything. Once this was identified as the problem, the teachers would give me extra time to finish tests. That made a huge difference.

I did not start taking any music lessons until I was 12 yrs old. I was very shy and introverted. I was VERY afraid to get in front of people. At 12, I started studying piano from a private teacher. I took to it like a fish to water. But when I had to play in a recital, I was petrified. My teacher encouraged me to take every opportunity to play in front of anyone. I forced myself to go to the nursing homes and play the piano. If I visited any friend who had a piano in their house, I would ask to play. This helped me very much.

I also joined Orchestra in 8th grade. I was amazed that they offered it at my public school. Again, I was learning to play cello very fast. I also joined the school choir in 8th grade. My choir director was super impressed with me and made me a part of her small group, the Madrigals. There were 8 guys and 8 girls. At that time, I was singing, tenor, bass, and sometimes alto. Because of my piano and cello lessons, my sight-singing was very strong. I have also always had a good ear.

I continued to do well in piano, choir, and Orchestra My reading ability in general got much better. I was still slower than average, but I was getting faster. My piano teacher taught music theory and music history for all grade levels. We took tests on both at SMU that were given by the Texas Music Educators Association. I always got straight A's in music theory and music history. My confidence was improving all the time. My school grades were getting better too.

In the late 80's, I started doing things I never dreamed I'd have the nerve to even try. I started leading the singing at church. By the 90's, I started teaching Bible classes. When I returned to college in 2000, I went to a community college. I maintained a 3.86 GPA while going to school there. I was on the Dean's list and a member of Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society. Now I am comfortable getting in front of people and talking or performing. This would have never happened if I had not studied music. Music has helped me in so many ways. I love it so very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home