Friday, August 18, 2006

Embryonic Stem Cell Research

Recently, I got involved in a heated debate over this issue of ESCR. I fully believe that I handled myself very well over all and never showed disrespect toward those who disagreed with me nor did I make any personal attacks. Sadly, this can not be said of everyone who disagreed with me. I am okay with people not agreeing with me and sticking to their position so long as they have honestly investigated the subject being debated. Many (but not all) of those who disagreed were not aware of all the facts. I was seeking to educate those and still show respect. I firmly believe that I did this. One person in particular lashed out at me personally. She accused me of being brainwashed. I demanded an apology and got one, but the nasty attitude toward me from this individual was still very evident.

Later, I even got criticized for demanding an apology without even considering that anything I said might require one from me. This was flat out false. One person suggested that I threw some mean shots as well and I responded immediately that although I was not aware of any "mean shots", I apologized and stated that I did not intend to offend anyone and respected everyone there. Even early into this debate I stated how I was not intending to offend anyone and welcomed their point of view.

Anyway, life is sacred to me. I do not think it is right to destroy a fertilized egg either by throwing the unused harvested embyos or by stem cell research. I do not even support the harvesting of these by invitro-fertilization clinics. These fertilized embyos do not have a voice and this is the main reason I jumped into the debate in the first place. A good friend of mine asked me why I couldn't just state my position and ignore the posts of those who disagreed. The reason is because I think it is vitally important to stand up for the preservation of life. This is a moral issue for me and I believe it is important to persuade others to place a high value on life.
Here is a link that I believe really explains why Bush did the right thing in the veto of providing government funding for ESCR. I will show respect to those who disagree with me if they are at least willing to listen to my point of view and consider it and respect me as well. It really bothers me when some people think it is a bad thing for me to be a "white conservative Christian male". I am still quite angry with this person who attacked me and am not sure if I will return to that discussion forum at this point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home