Sunday, April 23, 2006

Pressing On

Today I want to share some verses that I look to when I am feeling like I can't go on and life is too hard. The first passage I want to share is among my very favorite. I used to be a long distance runner and this was something that I could reall identify with. It was used in one of my all-time favorite movies, "Chariots of Fire" The main character in the movie reads this passage and asks; "So where does the strength come from to keep going when you feel like you can't go on? From within." The Lord gives us inner strength when we have His Word written on our hearts.

Isiaih 40:28-31 ~ Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable.29 He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength.30 Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall,31 But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

Of coarse these verses in I Corinthians also speak well to me because of my background in running long distance. Paul says he "disciplines" his body and brings it into "subjection". He makes sure he is physically prepared. Exercise is not easy. It is painful. It is necessary for the body to undergo stress and pressure in order to increase in strength. God made our bodies to be active. He also made our spirits to be active. We must learn to discipline ourselves so that when trials come, we will endure.

I Cor.9:24-27 ~ 24Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

Here in II Thessalonians, I am reminded that the Lord is faithful. This is important for me to remember. Many times in my darkest hour, I have felt alone...but I am not alone. As long as I am faithful, I can depend on God to be faithful to me as well.

II Thes.3:3-5 ~ 3But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one. 4And we have confidence in the Lord concerning you, both that you do and will do the things we command you. 5Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.

Here in Hebrews I am reminded that I must look to Jesus as I run with endurance. Jesus is my prime example of how I need to live my life.

Heb.12:1,2 ~ 1Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Here, Paul was feeling weak. He was struggling with a "thorn in the flesh", but he realized that it was to strengthen him and also to keep him humble that the glory would be God's. We too can find stength when we are weak. Every difficult time or situation will help us to grow that much stronger in Christ.

II Cor.12:9,10 ~ 9And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul tells us here in Philippians that he presses on; he forgets the past and reaches forward, pressing toward the goal. We must not dwell on past mistakes or failures, but continue to look ahead toward one day being in Heaven with God.

Phil.3:12-16 ~ 12Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you. 16Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.

I pray that this post will encourage those who read it. God's word is a powerful resource for us and we need to remember to study it daily. Until we feed on the Word of Life regularly, we will be weak and mal-nourished. Seek to please God in all you say and do.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Hi there Joe-

Hi, I'm part of the ThursdayThirteen.com blogroll check. Yay you passed!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home