Wednesday, February 01, 2006

"Christian" pop music

First let me say that I know there are many people who like contemporary "Christian" music and they are free to ignore what I have to say here. I do not intend to offend anyone or upset anyone. This is just how I see it and what I think of it. It is my opinion that too many of these "artists" are using God to make money. Another thing that bothers me is how they blur the line between worship and entertainment.

I am from a traditional church of Christ background and if you are not familiar with us, we do not use instruments in worship and have no choir or soloists. We have a male song leader that chooses the songs from our hymn book and leads the whole congregation in them. I am uncomfortable with any songs of praise being sung with instruments myself and that is just the way I am. I am not condemning people for liking it. Yet, I don't want other people to push it on me either.

Worship is not about entertaining ourselves and to turn church worship into a pop concert is wrong no matter what lyrics the pop band is singing. Christ is our focus in worship and doing what pleases God should be more important than pleasing ourselves. Many of the songs are not sound scripturally either and that is a HUGE problem to me. Also, if they are not unscriptural, they seem to be pretty shallow in thoughts. I know there are exceptions, but in general this is pretty accurate. So many of these "artists" are not very knowledgeable in God's Word.

One last thing to think about. If these people really wanted to reach out and help people who are NOT "Christian", they ought not be classified as Christian artists and should sing secular songs that are clean and wholesome and have messages about good morals. This is just my opinion, but I would rather people know I am a Christian by the way I live my life and the way I treat my fellow man than by the religious shirts I wear, the jewelry, or the Music I play and sing. I think I can use my musical abilities to glorify God without saying..."HEY LOOK AT ME... I AM A CHRISTIAN MUSICIAN!!!" Just a thought.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I never said music should be played in Worship so you are not really agreeing with what I said. It is the responsibilty of all members to sing and make melody in your heart, not certain ones who have talent. (Eph.5:19)
So you think whatever your talent is, you have to advertize that you are a Christian when you use it...or use that talent for God somehow? Does a talented architect only glorify Go when he designs church buildings or puts "To the Glory of God" somehwere on his blueprints? Does a Christian artist need to only paint Christian themes? I worked at Juvinile Corrections and everyone could tell that I was a true Christian without me bringing a Bible to read and without me wearing a Cross necklace or Christian t-shirts. I never cussed, I never lost my temper, I never lied to anyone; especially not to the Youth. They could tell because my behavior was so different than anyone else. Jesus said they will know we are His disciples if we have love for each other (John 13:35).
Another thing to think about in regards to Musical instruments in Worship. Not everyone who knows how to play an instrument can play in worship, but everyone can sing. They might not all sing well and might be monotone, but they CAN sing from the heart. Also, if the body is the temple(and it is) then the only instrument that is allowed inside the temple is the voice. The building we meet in is just a building and not the church. The people are the church.
Every founder of every denomination, when they attempted to reform the church from error, taught against instruments in worship. Why was this? It is because church history verifies that instruments were not authorized in worship. The Catholic church first tried to use instruments about 400 yrs after the Day of Pentecost. The Pope kicked it out and it wasn't until around 700 AD that instruments began to be common place in Cathoilc worship. The Greek Othadox Church still does not use instruments in worship and they broke away from the Catholic church because of the instruments. Bottom line is that we look to the New Testament for instruction on how to worship and how the church is organized, not the Old Testament. There is not authorization to use instruments in worship and to do so says that it is more important to do what pleases you than what pleases God.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home