Friday, February 03, 2006

happy to be alive

I just wanted to share that I am so very happy to be alive. I am finally in college at a University that I really enjoy and I am loving all that I am learning here. I sometimes can't believe I am really here. I am struggling quite a bit financially, but that is not affecting my determination to stay and endure whatever I need to in order to complete my education.
I am happy that I have such a great relationship with my son and I am happy that I have family and friends who support me emotionally. This is not easy at all and I see nothing to indicate that it will get any easier, but the payoff when I get my degree and teacher certification will be well worth whatever I have to struggle with.
If any kind hearted strangers would like to donate money to help me complete my education, I would be very thankful.(lol) I am hoping that I can get into the A'Cappella Choir next Fall. They are touring Europe this Summer and I would do almost anything to do that. Unfortunately, I am not in that choir, so I don't have that opportunity. Everyone that goes has to come up with 2,500 dollars just to go. Plus they need money to eat on while they are there and if they want to buy anything. If they do that next year, I doubt I'd be able to raise that kind of money.
No matter what the financial struggle, I know I will finish my education and I'll be happy with my new career. I pray that it is god's will that I reach these goals and am more able to provide for my son.

3 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

Best wishes in your achievement of these worthy goals. Some day, maybe you could blog about how and why you did not complete college 20 years ago. It might be instructive for your readers who are raising children.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

I noticed your New Year's resolution: "My resolution is to be a better christian, a better person, and a better father than I was the day before."

In our annual report at work we always had to include goals for the next year and cite how we did on last year's goals.

My boss told me something I've never forgotten (I'm not a goal setter by nature, but this was required.) Always make them measurable and achieveable, so you'll look good next year.

"I will play a board game once a week and attend a sporting event twice a month with my son to be a better father (I'm assuming these are activities he would like)," might give you something to work with. "Better" is a bit nebulous and subjective.

At Judgement, there are no "better Christians." There are only sheep and goats. No "better sheep" or "not so great goats." It's a very clear division. You might say, "I will increase my quiet time by 5 minutes daily," or something like that to grow in the faith. It's measurable, and if you tell a friend, or your son, it's accountable.

And to be a better person? Well, here you have some great choices. "Every Tuesday on the way to work I will let one very surprised driver into traffic ahead of me." Measurable--when you get to Dec. 2006. You could have 40 or even 50 successes to feel good about.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was not intending to give specifics in the blog of my New Year's Resolutions. I was just generalizing because my thinking is that I have those intentions every day of my life and I don't need to specify because in my mind I know what I mean by my statements and how to schieve them. When I say I want to be a better Christian than I was yesterday, I am not implying that I can be a better Christian than anyone else. I am meaning that I want to make less mistakes in my attempt to be Christ-like. This is not because I think I can earn my salvation, but because I want to live as blameless as possible to show my love for God and the Grace I have been given. I do set specific goals in different areas of my life, both short and long term. Thanks though for wanting to help me focus on achievable goals. As for how and why I did not complete college 20 yrs ago, I will try to tell that story very soon. ~ Joe

1:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home