Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thirteen Of My Favorite Bible Verses ~ And Why


Thirteen Things about Joe Norman



1…. Proverbs 4:11,12~I have taught you in the way of wisdom;I have led you in right paths.When you walk, your steps will not be hindered, And when you run, you will not stumble.

(This is a favorite because it reminds me who guides my steps.)

2 . Isaiah 40:28-31~Have you not known?Have you not heard?The everlasting God, the Lord,The Creator of the ends of the earth,Neither faints nor is weary.His understanding is unsearchable.He gives power to the weak,And to those who have no might He increases strength.Even the youths shall faint and be weary,And the young men shall utterly fall,But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength;They shall mount up with wings like eagles,They shall run and not be weary,They shall walk and not faint.

(I was a long distance runner when I was young and I could relate to this very well.)

3 . I Corinthians 9:24-27~24Do you not know that those who run in a race all run,but one receives the prize?Run in such a way that you may obtain it.And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things.Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown,but we for an imperishable crown.Therefore I run thus:not with uncertainty.Thus I fight:not as one who beats the air.But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection,lest,when I have preached to others,I myself should become disqualified.

(Another running scripture. It is a source for renewing my determination.)

4 . Hebrews 12:1,2~Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

(This scripture also reminds me not to give up in this life I live FOR God.)

5 . Philippians 4:13~ 13I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

(This is probably my favorite because it reminds me my strength comes from Christ.)

6 . Psalm 23~The Lord is my shepherd;I shall not want.He makes me to lie down in green pastures;He leads me beside the still waters.He restores my soul;He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.Yea,though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil;For You are with me;Your rod and Your staff,they comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;You anoint my head with oil;my cup runs over.Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;and I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.

(Isn't this a favorite of nearly everyone? It is beautiful and powerful)

7 . Joshua 24:15~But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.

(It is most important to me to see my children grow to be faithful Christians)

8 . John 14:21~21“He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him.”

(A reminder that keeping His commandments shows my Love for Christ)

9 . I Corinthians 13:4-8~Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.

(Reminds me of what REAL love IS)

10 . Hebrews 4:12~For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

(This reminds me of the power of God's Word...The Holy Bible)

11 . I John 2:15-17~Do not love the world or the things in the world.If anyone loves the world,the love of the Father is not in him.For all that is in the world —the lust of the flesh,the lust of the eyes,and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.And the world is passing away, and the lust of it;but he who does the will of God abides forever.

(A reminder of what really matters in this life)

12 . III John vs.4~I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

(A favorite of any Christian parent and it is my parents' as well)

13 . Eph.4:26,27~Be angry, and do not sin:do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil.

(This one helps remind me not to let anger build inside until it causes me to sin.)



Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



2 Comments:

Blogger lisa said...

nice list

1:52 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I like many of those scriptures too.

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home